Did you realize that our environment can be more disabling and dangerous then our physical or mental challenges?
Abilities OT & Irlen Diagnostic Center promotes awareness of those environmental & biological stressors via assessments to promote barrier-free design and accurate diagnosis of biological issues impacting safety, independence, learning, and working productively. Unknowingly, the design of buildings, outdoor & interior spaces, and products, combined with acquired or genetic biological sensory stress can be frustrating, dangerous and disabling, mentally, physically, and emotionally while we try to live our lives . Physical barriers can often be more disabling for children and adults with mobility, sensory, and cognitive challenges, then their actual diagnosis. Misdiagnosis or undiagnosed sensory processing disorders such as light sensitivity, or photophobia, can contribute to disabling conditions. However, with targeted inventions like Irlen Spectral Filters combined with accommodations such as changing the type, location, intensity and hue of lighting sources to minimize the negative impact, may be crucial to daily functioning with ease, comfort, safety, accuracy and sustained attention. Patterns, architectural design, clutter, sounds, uneven surfaces, steps, signage, type or railing, etc. can be designed to eliminate unnecessary barriers and safety issues. By isual stress Irlen syndrome, a sensory stress condition, and adaptation of the environment can provide immediate improvements in the ability to learn, work, and move with ease, comfort, accuracy, and sustained attention. We offer a full spectrum of services for learning and daily living challenges so people of all ages and disabilities can live and work in an environment free of barriers to achieve safety and independence. We strive to provide environments that have been designed and constructed to meet individual needs, while assessing limitations and maximizing strengths.
Our services include:
- Environmental Assessment: Targeting environmental barriers at home, job-sites, schools, and around the community and providing cost-effective solutions: accessible design, specialized products and reasonable accommodations.
- Home Safety for Seniors and Children: We can evaluate your space to ensure that it meets safety standards and is free from potential hazards.
- Ergonomics: Ensure your environment is designed to maximize your productivity and minimize injury for a more enjoyable and safe home or workspace. We assess your movements and barriers to formulate optimal solutions and ergonomic design.
- Job Descriptions: Accurate job descriptions ensure you are hiring qualified employees and eliminating ADA compliance problems that may cause miscommunication, unnecessary discrimination and even litigation. Our experts understand the law and task analysis of essential and non-essential functions of each job.
- Expert Witness Services: Shoshana Shamberg has decades of experience as an expert witness and can assist with depositions, expert testimony, reviewing accident reports and documents, life care planning, workman’s compensation, medical malpractice, courtroom testimony, mediation and negotiation to create solutions to complex issues involving professional liability and consumer advocacy.
- Remote Consultations: We can customize your consultation based on your requirements when an office visit isn’t an option. We offer fax, video, teleconferencing, email and telephone consultations.
Accessible design is a necessity for the millions of Americans who are disabled or differently-abled. Our accessibility services will evaluate your business or home to see if it satisfies compliance with Titles I, II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Fair Housing Act design guidelines and reasonable accommodations.
An accessibility consultation will include
Who Are Our Accessibility Design Clients?
Whether you’re looking to live well with a new condition or interested in exploring the newest technology that can make life safer and easier, our specialists can help you. From aging in place and smart homes to designing and creating sensory smart environments, we have access to a broad range of assistive technologies to improve your life.
We offer a variety of informative and customizable seminars that are both on-site and online. They are designed to help an array of professionals including business owners, contractors, builders, architects, medical professionals, therapists, case managers, social service agency personnel and more. Some of our most popular seminars include:
- Accessibility, Home Modifications & AT/Ergonomics Consultation 2-Day Seminar worth 15 CE hours (https://aotss.com/seminars/accessibility-home-modifications-ergonomics-consultation-2-day-seminar-15-ce-hours-6/)
- Irlen Screener Certification 2-Day Training worth 15-25 CE hours (https://aotss.com/seminars/irlen-screener-certification-2-day-training-15-25-ce-hours-6/)
- Accessibility, Home Modifications & AT/Ergonomics Consultation Online Study worth 20+ CE hours (https://aotss.com/seminars/accessibility-home-modifications-ergonomics-consultation-internet-home-study-20-ce-hours-9/)
Contact Us Today
To learn more about our accessibility consultations and injury prevention services, call us today at (410) 358-7269. To get started at home, complete a pre-assessment for Sensory Processing Disorder, schedule a free phone consultation, and learn more about the Irlen screening process, Irlen diagnostic testing, Irlen re-tint testing, and who we help.